The goal of this primer is to support United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Democracy, Human Rights, and Governance (DRG) personnel, as well as the broader DRG community, to understand the challenges posed by cybersecurity in elections and better integrate cybersecurity assessment and readiness into relevant electoral and political processes programs. This primer:
● Identifies potential impacts of cyber attacks on electoral and political processes;
● Introduces basic principles of cybersecurity;
● Characterizes risks in key components of the electoral process;
● Describes cyber threat actors, their motivations, and common tactics and attacks they may use; and
● Introduces industry-standard frameworks that can help guide election management body cybersecurity planning and strategy.